Medical Mutual is committed to supporting good social causes through community work. We serve our community through philanthropy, volunteerism and community partnerships. Each year, we give to hundreds of civic, educational and cultural organizations and a variety of health and human services programs.
Philanthropy is Our Focus
At Medical Mutual, community commitment is a high priority. We strive to build relevant and long-term relationships with the organizations with which we work. Support includes funding, executive board commitment and employee volunteers who give thousands of hours of their time each year.
Core Giving Area and SHARE
Our core giving areas focus on health and human services, as well as education. We are proud to sponsor and support such organizations as The United Way, American Red Cross and The Salvation Army. And, through our scholarship programs, students who could not otherwise afford college are given the opportunity to achieve their full potential. We also believe that effective public education is enhanced by business partnerships, which is why we have expanded our scholarship program to include high schools.
The heart of our community support lies in our SHARE committee made up of committed Medical Mutual employee volunteers. SHARE's mission is to promote the importance of community involvement through volunteerism. SHARE does so by supporting a variety of organizations with either manpower or financial support for a positive and long-term impact on communities. Each year, the employee volunteers on our SHARE committee coordinate more than 50 events with various nonprofit and community agencies.
Outstanding Senior Volunteer Awards
Medical Mutual recognizes senior citizens who volunteer their time to help others. Our Senior Volunteer Awards salute those volunteers who act in a selfless, caring manner and are committed to enhancing the quality of the lives of those around them.
- Nominations are submitted from community organizations with first-hand knowledge of exceptional volunteers who are at least 60 years old.
- The top four award winners – Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze – receive plaques and are considered for top honors at a Statewide Awards luncheon in Cleveland.
Nominate a senior volunteer here.
Hattitude! Breast Cancer Awareness Brunches
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and Medical Mutual invites you to celebrate life and a positive attitude by attending Hattitude!—a Breast Cancer Awareness Brunch. Each year, Medical Mutual hosts this event open to the public in Cleveland and Toledo. Registration is required.
- A local breast cancer advocate will be honored with the Debra A. Green Community Service Award for their contributions to the fight against breast cancer
- A local vendor fair with fashion accessories, health and beauty tips and educational information
- A fashion show by local boutiques showcasing the hottest Fall fashions
- A prize for the guest with the best hat
For more information on these two events, see our Community Calendar.
Explore the Results of Our Community Efforts in a Special Report
Every year, Medical Mutual produces Cause & Effect, an overview of all the ways we are involved in communities and the results of these efforts. Download and explore the latest Cause & Effect community report.